Exceptional Children Services



RTHS offers support services to students who are state-identified. The level of support is dependent on the student’s Individualized Education Plan. For more information, contact the Exceptional Children’s Department.


Project Child Find

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act includes the Child Find mandate, under which all school districts must identify, locate and evaluate all children with disabilities, regardless of the severity of their disabilities. After identifying children who may need services, all necessary evaluations must be completed on these children, at no cost to parents. RTHS participates in Child Find. General public notice signs to inform and educate the public about the need to locate and identify all children with disabilities are posted in the main lobby of RTHS, in accordance with IDEA.



A student with a disability may be removed from his or her current placement for up to ten cumulative school days in one academic year for any violation of the school code of conduct. This removal may be to another setting or it may be suspension. Services are not required during the first ten days. A disciplinary change in placement may occur when a student is removed for more than ten consecutive school days. Changing a student with a disability’s educational placement (continuum of services) may be made by an IEP team only, and services may be provided. A functional behavior assessment as well as a behavior intervention plan may be developed to address the behavior violation so that it will not recur. 


Transfers of Exceptional Children

RTHS accept transfers of IEPs from within the state of North Carolina and from other states. Enrolling students must indicate on their enrollment paperwork that an active IEP is in place and the school will request the transfer of those records. Exceptional Children’s services will be in place from the time of enrollment.





An impartial facilitator can be requested to assist the IEP team members in communicating more effectively, keeping the focus on student outcomes, and developing compliant IEPs.



Parents or guardians have the right to request the Department of Public Instruction to provide mediation services if you and the school are unable to agree upon the identification, evaluation, educational program, placement or the provision of a free, appropriate public education of a student.


Formal Written Complaints

When informal means for solving disagreements have not been successful, more formal dispute resolution alternatives are available through the provisions of federal and state laws governing special education [the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Article 9 of Chapter 115C of the North Carolina General Statutes].


More information on informal and formal dispute resolution is available at the DPI web site: http://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/parent-resources/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution


The LEA contacts for RTHS are Eric Grunden and Nan Danehower. Either can serve as the contact.